There’s a lot to think about when you get involved in an accident. One of the considerations is whether you should hire an Albany car wreck attorney. Some people believe the outcome of their insurance claim will be the same regardless of whether they have an attorney or not. Others believe that since their accident was minor, there is no need for a lawyer. Many victims only turn to attorneys when their insurance claim gets denied. However, it is recommended that you at least schedule one legal consultation as soon as possible after your accident. Since most accident attorneys in Georgia offer a free case review, there’s no reason not to do this.
When You Need to Hire an Albany Car Wreck Attorney
Accidents occur suddenly and they can result in unexpected expenses and losses. In the blink of an eye, your life can change. Even if you don’t suffer serious injuries, not having access to a car can be a big blow to a family. Having a lawyer helps to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. If your injuries resulted in less than $1,000 in medical bills, you may be able to negotiate a settlement on your own. However, if you need to file a claim for a larger amount, you should consult a lawyer. You should also hire an attorney if the accident:
- Was caused by a defective car part
- Involved a pedestrian, motorcyclist or bicyclist
- Was caused by a driver who was impaired alcohol or drugs
- Was a head-on collision
- Took place in a construction zone
- Involved a bus or 18-wheeler
- Resulted in permanent injuries or time off from work
The types of accidents can be complicated. Contrary to what many people believe, the other driver is not always responsible. An attorney will look into your case and help you to hold the appropriate party liable.
Why You Need an Attorney
If you suffered injuries because of another driver’s behavior, you need to protect your rights. Otherwise, you could find yourself footing a hefty bill when you did nothing wrong. It’s important to remember that accidents that seem minor often turn out to be more serious than expected. Here are some of the reasons why you need a Georgia auto accident lawyer.
- There’s a statute of limitations in place. You generally only have two years from the date of the car crash to file a lawsuit. If you fail to act within the stipulated time, you lose the right to sue.
- There are rules associated with filing a lawsuit. An experienced attorney knows how and when to take legal action. They know their way around a courtroom, and they will make sure you don’t make mistakes.
- Proving liability can be difficult. In some cases, it’s obvious who is at fault. However, sometimes it’s not clear cut. You’ll need an experienced lawyer to help you prove the other party was negligent.
- The insurance company will not be on your side. The at-fault party’s insurance provider is supposed to compensate you for your losses. However, their goal is to keep their spending down. If you don’t have a lawyer, you may not be able to get a fair settlement that covers your losses. You may be approached by an aggressive adjuster who will try to get you to accept a low settlement.
- You may not know all the damages you can claim. You’re probably already aware that you are entitled to compensation for medical expenses and property damage. However, you may not know that you can also claim for things like lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
Contact Joe Durham Jr. P.C. To Discuss Your Case Today
Many people are uncomfortable with the idea of talking to an attorney after an accident. They fear that they will have to pay a lot of money or that they’ll have to file a lawsuit and appear in court. However, attorneys don’t typically ask for fees upfront and most cases are settled outside of court.
Therefore, you don’t have to deal with the aftermath of a car accident on your own. Speak to a lawyer at our car wreck injury firm and get expert legal advice. We have several years of experience in helping accident victims. You shouldn’t have to bear the burden of your injuries alone. Call us today to schedule a free consultation and learn what we can do for you.