Medical malpractice in Albany is quite common. However, settlement of such claims requires plenty of technical knowledge of tort law related to medical malpractice. Medical malpractice occurs due to a breach of the patient-doctor contract that is formed once the patient is admitted.
Every profession has certain standards to follow. Similarly, the medical profession is fairly regulated and entrusts reasonable and ethical care. Medical malpractice may result if such trust is breached. If you suspect any medical malpractice in Albany, GA, you must consult medical malpractice lawyers in Georgia.
Medical malpractice is a leading cause of death in the US, according to one John Hopkin’s University study. Deaths by medical malpractice can occur due to several reasons. They include misdiagnosis, misreading laboratory results, improper treatment, and failure to warn patients of incumbent risks.
Proving a medical malpractice claim in Albany requires certain steps and extensive knowledge about medical malpractice cases in Georgia. In such a case, a competent attorney can help you fight through it.
4 Must-Do Things in Cases of Medical Malpractice in Albany, GA:
If you suspect medical malpractice in Albany, GA, here are the four things you must immediately set upon doing:
1. Get in Touch with the Doctor:
The first thing to do when you suspect medical malpractice is to contact the doctor in charge. You can explain your suspicions to them, and maybe they can correct their course of treatment. If not, you should contact the medical licensing board, who will advise on proceeding further with the claim. All such correspondence should be recorded for later use.
2. Lawyer Up:
The most critical aspect of suing or filing a medical malpractice claim in Albany, GA is to find the best medical malpractice lawyers in Georgia. It could be the difference between successfully suing a practitioner and a frivolous suit. Medical malpractice attorneys can help you on your way to a successful claim. It is also vital that you share all the details with your lawyers as it will help you during the case.
3. Get A Second Opinion:
The attorneys can guide you through the next steps and bring you up to date with the laws and statute of limitations. Most importantly, you’ll have to get an expert opinion from a third-party medical practitioner to corroborate your claim.
4. Gather the Documentation:
Lastly, all the documentation from being admitted into the hospital till your discharge must be in order and certified. All prescriptions and lab results must also accompany this to build a case against the doctor.
Basic Requirements of a Georgia Medical Malpractice Claim:
The types of medical malpractice vary to a great extent. It can range from a serious error on the practitioner’s part or just a small mistake in judgment. Whatever the error, the onus is on the patient or their family to prove that it constitutes a Georgia medical malpractice claim.
- The first step towards a medical malpractice claim is to establish a patient-doctor relation. It implies that the doctor being sued must be employed by the patient to be taken care of. Such a relation must exist as only then a certain standard of care would’ve been expected of such a doctor. Only then are there the grounds for the claim.
- Negligence or erroneous judgment by the doctor while treating the patient is a must for the claim. Mere unhappiness about the attitude or behavior of the practitioner doesn’t count as such basis. Hence you have to prove that the doctor behaved negligently during treatment, and a reasonably skilled doctor would have done better.
- It has to first be proved that the standard of care afforded to the patient was not up to the standards prescribed by medical boards. Only once that is done, you can then go for the causation of such neglect to cause the said harm. It is essential to establish that the doctor’s negligent behavior caused the damage, and often, other medical experts are needed to testify if this is how it unfolded.
- Finally, the patient cannot sue the doctor if they cannot establish the harm suffered. It can be anything from mental anguish to physical pain or loss of earning capacity.
The Best Georgia Medical Malpractice Attorneys:
Medical malpractice cases are challenging to deal with as a patient and a family. You need the best attorneys to fight medical malpractice in Albany, GA. If you are looking for a medical malpractice lawyer in Georgia that can help you in these trying times, feel free to contact us. Our Attorneys will guarantee you individual care until you have successfully defended your claim.