Car accidents happen everywhere. However, when someone suffers from a car accident in Georgia during their pregnancy, it can become life-threatening for both the mother and her unborn child.
Injuries sustained by the mother and her unborn child can be compensated, as the law allows you to hold accountable the person, whose negligence resulted in an accident.
Years of experience and knowledge allow us to help car accident victims, including pregnant mothers. We are here to protect your rights by allocating you the services of an attorney. They will provide guidance and assistance through each legal step while ensuring it remains a smooth process.
Car Accident in Georgia During Pregnancy; The Associated Risks:
In 2019, approximately 38,800 people lost their lives in tragic car accidents. Handling a car accident in Georgia during pregnancy can be tough. The possibility of severe injuries is highly contingent on the intensity of the crash. Health risks are involved when a person experiences a car crash during pregnancy.
In the first trimester, the health risks are usually low. Your unborn child has more protection from sudden jolts and movements in case of a crash. On the other hand, in the second trimester, the chances that you will receive more injuries than your unborn child are significant. However, severe impact during a crash can become fatal for your fetus even in the first and second trimester.
If you are pregnant and you are involved in a car crash, immediately seek medical help. A complete medical checkup is necessary to rule out any complications.
Pregnancy Complications After a Crash
Collisions can be detrimental for your unborn child. The negligence of one person can lead to serious consequences. Pregnancy complications in a car accident can include:
- Placenta disruption is the forceful detachment of the fetus from the uterus wall due to sudden pressure. It has extreme consequences and can lead to fetal death.
- Birth defects
- Internal or external bleeding; Mild to severe
- Experiencing early labor
- Maternal shock due to blood loss; leading the fetus to serious conditions
- Rupturing the uterus due to collision
Post-Accident Symptoms You Need to Observe:
Certain symptoms must be carefully observed if you are involved in an accident while being pregnant such as:
- Lacking the ability to remain conscious
- Experiencing changes in the baby’s movement
- Experiencing abdominal pain
- Swelling on the face
- Fever, chills, and severe headaches
- Pelvic pain
- Vomiting apart from morning sickness
It should be noted that these symptoms could be alarming, indicating serious injuries to you or your child.
Steps a Georgia Car Accident Lawyer Would Recommend
If you are involved in a car crash, the following steps will help you in attaining compensation.
- It is necessary to follow your doctor’s instructions to avoid any harm to yourself or your baby. The insurance company might argue for low compensation in case it is proven that you did not accurately follow the doctor’s instructions
- Take photos and record every detail of the accident, this will help in attaining a claim
- Keeping medical records and bills is vital. It helps in identifying the severity of the injury and the financial burden you sustained post-accident
- You have two years to file for a personal injury case. Seeking the help of an attorney will fast-track your process
The compensation you receive may include your medical expenses, lost wages, emotional stress, physical pain, and future medical care for your child or yourself.
Safety Tips You Need to Follow If You Are Pregnant
In certain situations, it becomes very difficult to avoid driving when you are pregnant. From driving to get groceries, to managing your work routine, you will have to travel in a car. It is always better to follow safety tips that will protect you and your baby from fatal car accidents.
Having a family member or friend drive you will save you from injuries caused by pressing against the steering wheel. Moving your seat back also helps in protecting any possible impact with the steering wheel.
Wearing a seatbelt properly is necessary to hold you in place. This protects from a severe impact on collision. For pregnant mothers, the appropriate way of wearing a seatbelt is when the seatbelt does not cause pressure on your baby during a sudden collision.
Contact an Albany Accident Lawyer
Unfortunately, a car accident in Georgia during pregnancy can be deadly for you and your baby.
We cannot stop such tragic events from happening, but our highly skilled team of Georgia car accident attorneys is here to ensure that your rights are protected. We will ensure maximum compensation for the injuries you and your baby may have suffered due to an accident.