If you drive any type of vehicle, it’s likely that you’ll get into an accident at some point. Car accidents in Atlanta occur all the time. Despite all the various attempts to encourage road safety, drivers still take chances on the city’s roads. They drive while texting, drive while intoxicated and speed even though they know it’s dangerous. The resulting crashes cause damage property and injuries and even claim lives.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Atlanta
Car accidents in Atlanta can occur in a variety of ways, but some are more common than others. When you know what to look out for, you can limit the likelihood that you’ll get involved in a crash.
Rear-end car accidents are perhaps the most common type of accident anywhere. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that they account for around 30 percent of all traffic accidents. These crashes are usually caused by inattentive driving, tailgating, sudden stops or reduced traction. Fortunately, rear-end collisions don’t often result in serious injuries.
However, they still cause property damage as well as lots of minor injuries including whiplash. Unlike other injuries, whiplash doesn’t show up on scans or tests. That makes it almost impossible to prove. It’s important that you see a doctor after your accident so they can give a medical opinion on your symptoms. This is the only way to convince an insurance company or jury that you suffered whiplash.
To avoid these crashes, you should:
- Check your mirrors often
- Avoid breaking suddenly
- Make sure your brake lights work
- Pay attention to road and weather conditions
T-bone crashes or side-impact crashes often occur at intersections when one driver fails to yield the right-of-way. They can also involve one driver running a red light or another traffic signal. The vehicles typically form a T after the collision. These accidents account for around 13 percent of all accidents in the United States. However, they make up more than 50 percent of fatal car crashes. Injuries from T-bone crashes include broken bones, back and neck injuries, internal injuries, and brain trauma.
To avoid a side-impact crash:
- Look both ways for oncoming traffic even when you have the right-of-way
- Make complete stops at traffic lights and stop signs even if the road seems clear
If you get into an accident caused by a negligent driver, reach out to a Georgia auto accident attorney.
Head-on collisions are not as common as rear-end crashes or side-impact crashes, but they are more dangerous. They often result in severe injuries or even death. Usually, one driver swerves into oncoming traffic at a very high speed. The victim often doesn’t see the car coming so they have no time to prepare or get out the way. These crashes often result in head injuries, bone fractures, burns, and facial disfigurement.
If you notice a driver coming towards you, you should:
- Slow down
- Press the horn and flash your lights to alert the driver
- Steer to the right of the vehicle
- Go onto the shoulder of the road
- Drive off the road if it’s safer
What to Do After Any Accident in Atlanta
No matter what type of accident you get into, the steps you take afterward are important. Even if the crash was not your fault, you can jeopardize your chances of getting compensation if you’re not careful. You need to make sure you:
- Stop at the scene of the accident even if it seems minor
- Keep your hazard lights on or set up flares to warn oncoming traffic and protect the scene
- Call the police to report the accident and tell the officers exactly what happened without speculating or exaggerating
- Take pictures of the scene and any visible damage and injuries
- Exchange contact details and insurance information with everyone else involved in the accident
- Notify your insurance company about the crash
- Seek medical attention even if your injuries seem minor
- Keep all the documents and receipts related to your accident in a safe place
- Contact an attorney to ensure your rights are protected and you get the compensation you deserve
Call the Georgia Car Accident Attorneys at Joe Durham Jr. PC Today
Whether you’ve been involved in a head-on collision, T-bone crash or rear-end accident, you need a lawyer. Insurance companies are often very reluctant to pay the amount victims truly deserve. When you have a lawyer on your side, they’re more likely to make a fair offer. Our experienced attorneys have helped countless people with their car accidents in Atlanta. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Georgia.